Tuesday, February 13, 2007

omg, sick!

I believe I caught what has been described to me by other foreigners as "Beijing-itis". Luckily, I'm over it now, but it put me out for almost a week. Also, I moved to a different hotel, with cheaper rooms but no internet access, which is why I haven't updated the blog in over a week and a half. I've done a few things since the last update, including shooting an AK-47 (!) and checking out a few cool areas in Beijing. I don't have my pics on me now, but I'll be getting them up soon.
Also, I had an awesome time during Chinese New Year. It's a strange period of time in Beijing. Most of the people vanish, they go to their hometowns. The city shrinks from 14million to something like 4 million. But, the remaining 4million all become pyromaniacs, and fireworks here are a minutely occurence. For the couple of days leading up to the New Year and the couple following it, this city is like Armageddon! I've never seen such a display as I've seen on New Years Eve. The city puts on a show, but it pales in comparison to the fireworks let off by individual groups of people. I spent the night at a house party with mostly foreigners, and they had a rooftop patio. Literally, around 11pm on New Years Eve, which was Saturday the 17th, the city was blowing up everywhere, 360 degrees. It was awe-inspiring. If you took all the gunpowder in all the fireworks lit in the hour leading up to the New Year, you could probably take out the entire downtown. The air smelled of gunpowder almost constantly during those days. I have some videos which I'll try to post soon, when I get another chance.
Meanwhile, I have nothing to show atm. I have many pics to post and will do so asap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's nice that your itis has abated and all of your friends can now take you off of their missing person's list...did you find a canon to shot off during this festive melee?

Wiser2001 said...

Well, I've always got my Canon on me, but I didn't find any cannon's to fire unfortunately.
Funny enough, the chinese word for cannon is pao4, which literally sounds the same as how we say "POW!"