Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Preparations

Networking! That's all I have to say. I have spent the last few weeks, aside from my last-minute passport renewal and visa application, getting info about friends of friends in Beijing who will be able to help me acquire work and possibly show me the less-touristy side of Beijing.

Luckily for me, I have managed to get in contact with a high school friend, who is in good contact with another high school friend living in Beijing with his family. This is good news. Having the contacts when I arrive will accelerate my acclimation greatly... and that way I can get right down to business, the business of partying.

After a bit of partying and getting to know the city, I'll be looking to get some work. Likely I'll teach english, because I've been told the money is really good. Apparently, it starts at 120RMB/hr, which is like $20CAD/hr. In China, that should go a long way. I've got a few other contacts that I'll be meeting with, who will hopefully have friends. The sooner I can establish myself there with a group of people the better.

After a couple of weeks, I'll begin searching for a chinese language tutor. Mostly, somebody who can help me with specific grammar and usage issues. I'll be looking for a character practice book there, to add to what I already know (though I forget many of the characters I have practiced). I need a tutor to give me a rigid learning structure, a way to not only practice writing characters but to use them in essay form so that I may remember them better.

Only 9 days until I leave, and I'm already starting up my blog. I'm excited though. The buddy I met up with recently had so many good things to say about China, I almost with I were leaving in a couple of days. The time is approaching quickly though, and I have many preparations to take care of.

I plan on taking a lot of pictures. I doubt I'll post them all, but the juicy ones for sure. I'm a big fan of candid street shots. You'll see!

No comments: