Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Weather interpretation

I've been checking out the weather in Beijing a lot, just to make sure I'm prepared enough when I arrive. I've noticed a recurring condition, the condition of "smoke". "A few clouds. Smoke." What the hell does that mean? I'd be inclined to guess it's referring to smog, but then why not label it smog. Besides, smog is a more of a daytime occurrence, when sunlight can convert common pollutants into more dangerous ones.
I'm pretty curious about this smoke, and partly anxious. Should I be bringing a ventilator?

1 comment:

Lillian said...

Hay Zach!

I've noticed you don't have any comments and when I had my travel blog, I loved comments. That's really cool you're going to China. Are you planning to visit any other countries in the area? Just came back from Australia almost 3 weeks ago and can't wait to plan my next trip. I swear, you will get hooked on traveling. Good luck! I'm sure the cultural and language barriers will be difficult at first, but I'm sure by the end of it, it will be one of the best experiences in your life! If only people our age would realize it and make the effort to go abroad (especially before starting full time work - ick!) ... it's totally worth it - even if you come back with debt - lol.

Take care and have fun!

Lillian

PS. Smoke can be fires that are creating a haze. I know that Australia has been in drought and wildfires are occuring everywhere and blanketing the cities with smoke. Just a guess... or maybe it's pollution (smoke from smoke stacks?)